Complete 80 meter Quadloop antenna including 1:2 BalUn DIY kit
The 80 meter Quadloop antenna kit contains all the components to create the ideal Quadloop antenna. The Quadloop antenna is not used as often compared to other antennas, yet these antennas have many advantages. For example, the antenna is symmetrical and closed, so that the reception will in many cases be quieter compared to asymmetric or open antennas. The 80 meter Quadloop antenna is mounted in a square. By using a good BalUn, Common mode current are prevented, which also reduces interference from your direct environment. The antenna is completely symmetrical, in short there is no earth or counter capacity required. See the manual for more details.
The 600 Watt 1:2 BalUn is made up of two FT240-43 ferrite ring cores. Around the first toroidal core a 1:1 current BalUn is built up, creating the transition from unbalanced (coax) to balanced (the antenna). This BalUn has a fantastic common mode current attenuation of over 30 dB. The second toroid is responsible for the impedance matching from 50 Ohm to 100 Ohm.
Many BalUn manufacturers only look at the impedance matching but forget to look at the common mode current attenuation. Often a quarter wave 75 Ohm coax cable is used as impedance adjustment for quad loop antennas, but it is then forgotten that in many cases the coax cable becomes part of the antenna, resulting in a disturbed radiation pattern. This 1:2 BalUn scores very well both in terms of common mode current attenuation and impedance matching. Now with a handy mounting plate to attach both ring cores, so gluing is no longer necessary.
The main reason for using a BalUn is to make sure that the coax cable is not part of the antenna system and that it will radiate undesirable. This has all sorts of nasty effects, think of: interference, EMI, RFI disrupted radiation pattern of the antenna, restless noise level. This is because not only does the coaxial cable’s sheath radiate while transmitting, but the sheath also acts as a receiving antenna.
Click here for a detailed building description
80 meter Quadloop antenna 600 Watt parts
This kit includes:
1:2 BalUn kit
- IP65 enclosure 100x100x55 mm
- 2x Ferrite Ring Core Amidon FT240-43
- Winding wire 18 AWG – 4x 85cm PTFE 19 x 0.25 mm copper “Silver plated”
- Core wrap wire 1.5 mm – 1.5 mtr. – enamelled copper wire
- PL 259 Chassis
- Toroid mounting plate
- 4x M3 spacer
- 4x Stainless steel M3 6 mm screws
- 4x stainless steel M3 washer
- M3 Cable lug
- 2x M5 Cable lug
- 2x stainless Steel (A4) M6 eye (Strain relief)
- 2x Stainless Steel M6 Nut
- 2x Stainless steel M6 washer
- 2x stainless steel M6 Spring washer
- 2x Stainless Steel M5 Bolt 25mm
- 2x stainless steel M5 wing nut
- 4x Stainless Steel M5 Nut
- 4x Stainless steel M5 washer
- 2x stainless steel M5 Spring washer
- 4x stainless steel M5 toothed washer
- 4x stainless steel M3 Bolt 12mm
- 4x Stainless Steel M3 Nut
- 4x Stainless steel M3 washer
- 4x stainless steel M3 toothed washer
- Antenna litze 86.5 meters (on choice)
- 4x Insulators
- 6x stainless steel wire clamp 3mm
- 2x 5mm cable lug
- 2x heat shrink tube for antenna connection
There are no reviews yet.