G5RV junior antenna kit including 150 Watt 1:1 BalUn
The G5RV junior antenna including BalUn has a number of positive features, making it a popular multiband antenna. For example, the G5RV junior antenna is symmetrical so in many cases reception will be quieter compared to asymmetrical antennas. By using a good BalUn, you will not have any problems with coax shield currents. This prevents interference with the environment. The symmetrical properties do not require Earth or counter poise capacity. Total antenna length approximately 15.5 meters. (2x 7.75 meters) From the feed point of the antenna, 5.30 meters of 450 Ohm ladder line is used first. The combination of the correct length dipole and the correct length ladder line provide favorable SWR on various bands.
The G5RV junior antenna is usually used in conjunction with an antenna tuner. For the 10, 20 and 40 meter bands, in many cases a tuner is not needed. The 12, 15 and 17 meter bands can be adjusted with a simple tuner. Because the impedance at the end of the ladder line for the aforementioned bands is close to 50 Ohms, the loss over the coaxial cable is acceptable. For 30, 60 and 80 meters, this antenna is unsuitable.
Also look at the ZS6BKW antenna, it may be a better alternative.
The antenna can be placed horizontally or as an inverted-V. Make sure the ladder line is clear of conductive materials and the ground.
The main reason for using a BalUn is to make sure that the coax cable is not part of the antenna system and that it will radiate undesirable. This has all sorts of nasty effects, think of: interference, EMI, RFI disrupted radiation pattern of the antenna, restless noise level. This last point is because not only does the coax cable’s shield radiate when you transmit, but the shield also works as a receiving antenna.
We supply the G5RV junior antenna kit including BalUn, antenna litze, ladder line of your choice, cable clamps and insulators.
Experimental Wire: This wire consists of 1.0 mm2 braided copper wire with a UV resistant black shield. The total diameter is about 2 mm. Perfect for experiments or holiday antennas. Because the core only consists of copper, this wire will stretch over time and continue to stretch. The tensile strength of this wire is therefore also limited.
Copper/Kevlar Wire: This antenna wire is produced especially for HF Kits local in the Netherlands. The wire consists of a Kevlar core with around 1.1 mm2 tinned copper braiding. 1x 0,4 mm Kevlar en 24x 0,25 mm copper. The insulator consists of black UV resistant PE. The total diameter is about 2.5 mm. Tension force approx. 50 kg. In this way a strong, flexible and relatively light wire is obtained.
Copper/Stainless steel Wire: This antenna Wire is produced especially for HF Kits local in the Netherlands. The wire consists of a stainless steel core (7x 0, 35mm) with around 1.0 mm2 tinned copper braid. 7x 0.3 mm stainless steel and 14x 0.3 mm thinned copper. The insulator consists of black UV resistant PE. The total diameter is about 2.5 mm. Tension force approx. 100 kg. This is a robust antenna wire with a very long life span. As far as we are concerned, this is the best choice for permanently placed antennas.
This kit includes:
- 2x 8 meter Antenna Litz
- 5.50 meters 450 Ohm ladder line
- 4x Stainless Steel Cable Clamp
- 2x End Isolator
- 2x Cable lug 5mm
- 6x Shrink tubing for cable lug
- 1x Feed point dipole antenna for ladder line
- IP65 enclosure 82x80x55 mm
- Ferrite toroid Amidon FT140-43
- Winding wire 22 AWG – 4x 65cm PTFE 19 x 0.15 mm copper “Silver plated”
- PL 259 Chassis
- Toroid mounting plate
- Stainless steel M3 6mm screws 4x
- Stainless steel M3 Spring washer 4x
- M3 Cable lug
- 2x M5 Cable lug
- 2x Stainless Steel M5 Bolt 25mm
- 2x stainless steel M5 wing nut
- 4x Stainless Steel M5 Nut
- 4x Stainless steel M5 washer
- 2x stainless steel M5 Spring washer
- 4x stainless steel M5 toothed washer
- 4x stainless steel M3 Bolt 12mm
- 4x Stainless Steel M3 Nut
- 4x Stainless steel M3 washer
- 4x stainless steel M3 toothed washer
- As much as possible, Place the antenna free from interfering elements
- Also suitable in inverted-V setup.
- Place the feed point as high as possible
- Make sure the ladder line is free of conductive materials and the ground